The Fanbase Press staff is thrilled to announce that they will be participating in Q Con 2023, Southern California’s LGBTQ+ comic convention presented by Prism Comics. Taking place on Saturday, June 17, 2023, from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. at Fiesta Hall in Plummer Park (1166 North Vista Street, West Hollywood, CA), attendees will have the chance to meet a host of talented comics creators, cosplayers, and organizations, including David M. Booher (Killer Queens, Canto, Joe Hill’s Rain), Tini Howard (Excalibur, Catwoman), Shannon Watters (Lumberjanes, Hollow), Richard Fairgray (Four-Color Heroes), Josh Trujillo (Hulkling & Wiccan, Blue Beetle), Sina Grace (Rockstar and Softboy, Iceman), Comadres y Comics, the Comic Art Professional Society, and many more! Be sure to stop by the Fanbase Press booth, where you can purchase all of our award-winning comics and graphic novels, including the 2023 Eisner Award-nominated Ripple Effects and the 2018 Eisner Award-nominated Quince, and meet The Margins artist Amanda Texter-Donahue!
Q Con is free to the public and family friendly, providing pre-teens through adults with the opportunity to find a wide variety of comics and graphic novels affirming LGBTQ+ representation at one exciting, colorful event. Attendees are encouraged to cosplay as their favorite characters with a fun and festive Costume Contest being held at 3:30 p.m. This year, Q Con will also feature panel programming, with incredible and thought-provoking conversations and readings (with the full programming schedule listed below). Q Con is supported by a grant from the City of West Hollywood’s Arts Division as part of the City’s WeHo Pride Arts Festival (May 22 – June 30). More info at wehopride.com/artsfestival, @wehoarts, and @wehopride.
Fans in attendance will have a chance to stop by the Fanbase Press booth to purchase the publisher’s award-winning comics and graphic novels, including the 2023 Eisner Award-nominated Ripple Effects, 2018 Eisner Award-nominated Quince, the award-winning Quince: The Definitive Bilingual Edition hardcover, the 2022 International Latino Book Award-winning Nuclear Power, The Sequels, The Margins, The Gamma Gals, Something Animal, Identity Thief, The Arcs, Fearworms, and Penguins vs. Possums.
FANBASE PRESS CREATOR SIGNINGS
- 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.: Amanda Texter-Donahue (artist, The Margins)
- All Day: Writer/Artist Richard Faigray (Fanbase Press’ upcoming Four-Color Heroes) will have his own booth at the convention, as well!
- 11:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.: What Does Healthy Queer Representation in Comics Look Like? Moderated by Barbra Dillon (editor-in-chief, Fanbase Press), this panel will provide a thoughtful conversation that goes far beyond the fact that representation is necessary. Featuring David M. Booher (Killer Queens), Shannon Watters (Lumberjanes, Hollow), Richard Fairgray (Four-Color Heroes), Kristen Parraz (Comadres y Comics), and A.C. Esguerra (Eighty Days), the conversation will include how each panelist defines “healthy” queer representation, whether it’s necessary to only tackle the positive stories and aspects of life, and much more.
- 12:00 p.m. – 12:45 p.m.: Spotlight on Sina Grace and Josh Trujillo Join us for a spirited interview with Sina Grace (Rockstar and Softboy, Superman: The Harvests of Youth) and Josh Trujillo (Blue Beetle, Hulkling & Wiccan). Moderator David Reddish (entertainment journalist and author, Sex Drugs & Superheroes), will talk with Sina and Josh about their work and their inspirations for comics as BFFs in real life.
- 1:00 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.: Pride Story Hour Host Julian Jetson (Gay Geeks And Where To Find Them) and Q Con welcome Tara Madison Avery (We’re Still Here, The Outside), David Booher (Killer Queens), Richard Fairgray (Four-Color Heroes, Ghost Ghost), Jeff Krell (Arena Takes Manhattan, Jayson Goes to Hollywood), Cort Lane (Monster And Me: Too Cool For School), William O. Tyler (Theater of Terror, We Belong), Shannon Watters (Lumberjanes, Hollow), and others to announced as they present selections from their LGBTQ comics.
- 2:00 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.: Geek Crossfire What’s the state of geek pop culture today? Can the MCU solve its villain problem? Is Kathleen Kennedy to blame for the Star Wars movie drought? Get in on the dish as Moderator David Reddish (entertainment journalist and author, The Passion of Sergius & Bacchus) leads a panel of industry experts and insiders for a high-energy, hard-talking, and humorous debate about the present and future of your favorite genre franchises in Hollywood. Featuring Tara Madison Avery (We’re Still Here, publisher, Stacked Deck Press), Sonya Saturday (digital artist and content creator), Stacey Yvonne (Journalist at Pride & Black Girl Nerds), William O. Tyler (Theater of Terror, We Belong), and Joshua Yehl (Editor at IGN).
EXHIBITOR TO BE IN ATTENDANCE
Aleasha Acevedo (Husk)
Tara Madison Avery (We’re Still Here, Stacked Deck Press)
David Booher (Rain; Killer Queens)
CAPS – Cartoon Art Professional Society
Dave Davenport (Feral and the Ghost Fighter)
Michael Derry (Troy; Derry Products)
A.C. Esguerra (Eighty Days); Richard Fairgray (Four-Color Heroes)
Fanbase Press; Jack Foster (Gun)
Sina Grace (Rockstar and Softboy; Iceman)
Tini Howard (Excalibur; Catwoman)
Jeff Krell (Jayson; Arena Stage)
Steve MacIsaac (Shirtlifter; Unpacking)
Knave Murdock (TransCat)
Cort Lane (The Monster And Me book series)
Los Angeles Film School; Ed Luce (Wuvable Oaf)
Mei (Qi-Shift); Mark A.J. Nazal (Diwata Komiks)
Gladys Ochoa (Ribbons of Thought)
M.K. Palmer (Meraki)
Kristen Parraz (Comadres y Comics Podcast)
Mike Pingel (Channel Surfing: Betty White)
Prism Comics; Qweerty Gamers
Brad Rader (Bob’s Burgers, Batman: The Animated Series)
Rainbow Arc of Fire
David Reddish (The Passion of Sergius & Bacchus)
Sonya Saturday (The Greatest Thing You’ve Ever Seen in Your Life)
Christie Shinn (HoraTora Studios)
Josh Trujillo (Hulkling & Wiccan; Blue Beetle)
Maximus Spragovsky (W.O.O.F. Galaxy)
Stacked Deck Press
William O. Tyler (Theater of Terror)
Shannon Watters (Lumberjanes: Hollow)
Fernando Velez (Kraven Comics; Class6)
Yaoi Revolution; Cosplayers: Adorkable Jay
Chrissy Lynn Carpenter
Drkarthall and Rye_n_cosplay (DR.Costumes)
Jacqueline Goehner (Underground Cosmetics)
Rachael Sanderson (Lucky Grim Creative)
Joe Pryde Zuniga and Bryan Gomez
Others to be announced!
Everyone at Fanbase Press is greatly looking forward to Q Con 2023, and we hope to see you there! Interested attendees may register for tickets in advance at qconprism.org or get free tickets at the door.