The Fanbase Press staff is very excited to begin its 10th year of publishing by exhibiting at Long Beach Comic Expo, alongside a number of other talented independent creators! Taking place on Saturday, January 11, and Sunday, January 12, 2020, at the Long Beach Convention Center, the annual event is a celebration of comic books and pop culture that showcases the exceptional works of talented writers, artists, illustrators, and creators of all pop culture genres. Throughout the weekend, we will be meeting fans at the Fanbase Press booth, where you can purchase all of our graphic novels and comics, including the first opportunity for readers to purchase the hardcover of Quince: The Definitive Bilingual Edition! Plus, Fanbase Press’ staff and contributors will be participating in quite a few intriguing panels throughout the weekend that you will not want to miss!
Fans in attendance will have a chance to stop by the Fanbase Press booth (Booth #506) to be THE FIRST to pick up copies of Quince: The Definitive Bilingual Edition which is the oversized hardcover collecting both the Spanish and English language editions of the Eisner Award-nominated comic book series, Quince. The hardcover also features incredible bonus features, including forewords by Gloria Calderón Kellett (Executive Producer/Showrunner/Director/Actor, ONE DAY AT A TIME) and Peter Murrieta (Executive Producer/Showrunner/Writer, MR. IGLESIAS), an academic essay by Frederick Luis Aldama (Distinguished University Professor and Eisner Award-winning author of LATINX SUPERHEROES IN MAINSTREAM COMICS), a study guide by Dr. Theresa Rojas (Professor, Modesto Junior College), an art gallery by artists Javier Hernandez (EL MUERTO), Sabrina Cintron (THE WITCHES GRIMOIRE, LA BORINQUEÑA), Malena Bonilla (Twitter: @Malbondesigns, Instagram: @malbondesigns), and Jose Cabrera, and a heartfelt letter to the reader by creator Sebastian Kadlecik.
Plus, readers have the opportunity to purchase the collected trade paperback edition of Quince, the 2019 IPPY Award-winning A Geek’s Guide to Cross-Stitch: Journeys in Space, the 2014 Bram Stoker Award-nominated Fearworms: Selected Poems, The Sequels, The Margins, The Gamma Gals, Something Animal, Identity Thief, The Arcs, and Penguins vs. Possums. As a special treat, Fanbase Press will be selling limited edition Quince enamel pins, Fanbase Press pins, and Fanbase Press t-shirt in sizes Small – XXL, so that attendees may show their geek pride in style.
You will not want to miss the following panels featuring Fanbase Press’ staff and contributors, which will include the following:
Saturday, January 11
- 11:00 a.m.: Fanbase Press at 10: A Decade of Celebrating Fandoms & Creating New Ones – Cutting-edge comics publisher Fanbase Press returns to Long Beach to celebrate its tenth anniversary! Join featured guest Sebastian Kadlecik (creator of the acclaimed Quince), Quince writer Kit Steinkellner, Quince artist Emma Steinkellner, and Nuclear Power writers Desiree Proctor and Erica Harrell, and Fanbase Press co-founders Barbra and Bryant Dillon for a look at what the company has in store for its 10th anniversary celebration! (Room 103A)
- 3:00 p.m.: Fanbase Press Presents: All About QUINCE – The Latina Superhero We Need – Fanbase Press’ Quince – the Eisner-nominated, bilingual comic book series about teenager Lupe who discovers she has superpowers at her quinceañera – is launching its hardcover edition Long Beach Comic Expo! A celebration panel brings together series creator Sebastian Kadlecik (Penguins vs. Possums), writer Kit Steinkellner (Sorry for Your Loss), artist Emma Steinkellner (The Okay Witch), and Peter Murrieta (Executive Producer, Mr. Iglesias) to discuss the series and the importance of inclusivity and representation in the comic book medium! (Room 103C)
Sunday, January 12
- 11:30 a.m.: Rise of the Latina Superhero – In the expanding universe of superheroes, Latina superheroes are on the minds of all. Where are they? How will they look? What are their powers? And, most importantly, when. The public has spoken, and the time is now. Join Kayden Phoenix (writer and creator, JALISCO), Amanda Julina Gonzales and Gloria Felix (illustrator and colorist, JALISCO), cosplayer Ivy Doomkitty, and Barbra Dillon, Editor-in-Chief and founder of Quince publisher Fanbase Press for this timely panel. (Room 103B)
- 1:30 p.m.: Fanbase Press Presents: STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK AT 40 – Join the hosts of Fanbase Press’ flagship podcast, The Fanbase Weekly, for one of their trademark “Fanbase Feature” panel discussions – this time focusing on the 40-year anniversary of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. Featuring Star Wars Memories writer Craig Miller (Lucasfilm Director of Fan Relations from 1977-1980), and Star Wars: Resistance writer/executive producer Brandon Auman and writer Gavin Hignight, and The Story Geeks co-host Sandra Dimas, this panel will examine the plot, characters, themes, as well as the massive impact of this iconic film. Spoiler warning: Luke Skywalker’s parentage is likely to be discussed. Moderated by Fanbase Press President Bryant Dillon. (Room 103A)
INDIE CREATORS IN ATTENDANCE
Last, but certainly not least, you will not want to miss the other indie creators, writers, artists, and publishers who will be exhibiting their work at the convention.
- Comic book writer/creator Kayden Phoenix and penciller Amanda Julina will have copies of Jalisco: Latina Superhero at Artist’s Alley table C4.
- Comic book writer David Pepose of the Ringo Award-nominated Spencer & Locke and Going to the Chapel will be at Artist’s Alley table C12!
- Comic book writer and founder of Wannabe Press Russell Nohelty will be at Booth 140!
- Comic book writer D.J. Kirkbride and indie cartoonist and toymaker Douglas Gauthier will be at Artist’s Alley table A11 with copies of his Dark Horse books, THE ONCE AND FUTURE QUEEN and NEVER ENDING, as well as giveaways with each purchase.
- Comic book writer Norm Harper of Karate Petshop and the Fanbase Press series, The Sequels, will be in Artist’s Alley table A26 with his graphic novels, including the Eisner Award-nominated Rikki, The Sequels, and Lion Forge’s Haphaven.
- Comic book artist Bobby Timony of Fanbase Press series, The Sequels, will be in Artist’s Alley table D32.
- Comic book writer Justin Peniston of Big & Tall Tales / Hunter Black will be in Artist’s Alley at Table D12 with copies of their comics and graphic novels. Plus, if you buy the first comic and then want more, they’ll refund you the price of the first issue off of the price of the trade!
- Comic book writer/artist Christie Shinn of HoraTora Studios will be at Artist’s Alley table C12!
Everyone at Fanbase Press is greatly looking forward to the convention, and we hope to see you there!