Hey, Wonder people! Wonder Woman fever continues to rule the summer, so I thought I’d share what I think are the 5 most exciting things about Wonder Woman right now!
- Toys! Toys! Toys! Last week at San Diego Comic-Con, DC previewed a ton of their upcoming new merchandise, and not surprisingly it was quite heavy with Wonder Woman items. (Hey, new Bombshell Wonder Woman action figure! I got my eyes on you!)
- Congratulations to writer/artist Jill Thompson for her Eisner Award for best original graphic novel, Wonder Woman: The True Amazon. The Eisners are the comic book industry’s version of the Oscars. Unless I’m mistaken, this is the first Eisner bestowed on a Wonder Woman project. Also, hats off to Wonder Woman ’66 writer Marc Andreyko for his Eisner for his Love is Love anthology.
- Happy Birthday, Wonder Woman! The first and arguably best Wonder Woman turned 66 on July 24th! And remarkably, she’s just as beautiful as she was the first time she donned the tiara.
- Wonder Woman: Earth One Volume 2 artist Yannick Paquette previewed some pages from the next installment of his and writer Grant Morrison’s epic tale on his Facebook page. Needles to say, the pages were stunning and making me salivate for the sequel to one of my all-time favorite portrayals of Princess Diana.
- Don’t call it a comeback. With Wonder Woman being declared the biggest movie of the summer, it’s no surprise Wonder Woman 2 has been greenlit, with Patty Jenkins on board to direct. (Thank, Hera!) Luckily, we don’t have to wait that long to see Gal Gadot in action. Justice League is coming, and the latest, awesome trailer is very Wonder Woman heavy. Also not a surprise, as the DCU most likely wishes to showcase its newest cash cow.
Well, that’s all for this week. Be back next week and make sure to check out the “I Am Wonder Fan” Facebook page and follow me on Instagram, @MichaelFitzTroy.