Greetings from a darkly lit cavern under the streets of Gotham City!
In early 1939, Action Comics teased readers with a headshot of a mysterious masked man with a square jaw and defined high cheek bones; the tagline claimed, “Don’t miss it! The Batman!” And with Detective Comics #27, readers read the Caped Crusader’s first story written by Bill Finger and illustrated by artist Bob Kane. Dark, mysterious, conflicted, and perhaps controversial, over the years, Batman has moved from the comic book pages to the small screen and the silver screen. And 75+ years on, Batman Day will honor the Gotham superhero (and philanthropist) on Saturday, September 17.
Now in its third year, Batman Day has become an annual tradition for comic book stores, libraries, bookstores (check out Barnes & Nobles announcement of their events), and schools to offer promotions, special signings, and free comic books. DC Comics has set up a dedicated DC Batman Day website for fans to check out an event’s listing and download a free Batman Activity Kit, special deals, and five ways to celebrate, in case you were not sure.
And, if you prefer your content on the go, Comixology is offering up to 76% off Batman eBooks! This includes Golden, Silver, and Bronze Ages comics books and Batman story arcs such as Year One, A Death in the Family, The Long Halloween, and Batman & Son. At the very least, go and download the free Detective Comics’ 1939 Issue #27 – it is the very first issue to include a six-page Batman story, “The Case of the Criminal Syndicate.”
If you are attending Long Beach Comic Con this weekend, don’t forget that on Saturday from 5 to 6 p.m. in Danger Room S1 will be The Arkham Sessions Presents: A Spotlight on Jimmy Palmiotti Featuring Harley Quinn. Panelists include Palmiotti and Arkham Sessions resident psychologist Dr. Andrea Letamendi, and it will be hosted by The Arkham Sessions‘ host Brian Ward.
Or, if you are not able to attend, please catch The Arkham Sessions weekly podcast. Plus, check out Fanbase Press’ exclusive content to commemorate Batman Day 2016!
- Russ Pirozek, Behind the Bat: A Look Into Batman’s Alter Ego, Bruce Wayne
- Christina Fawcett, Villainous Male Desire and the Batman Arkham Games
- Alan McGreevy, Batman: Love the Science, Hate the Scientists
- Erica McCrystal, What is Gotham City?: The Evolution and Variety of Batman’s Hometown
- Michele Brittany, Interview with Robert Weiner, Writer/Editor of All Things Superhero
Wait! And, there’s more Batman content, so in case you haven’t read, watched, or listened, here’s what we pulled from the Fanbase Press Bat Cave for you!
From this year’s San Diego Comic-Con International 2016, Fanbase Press chatted with the cast and creative team of the DC animated Batman film, The Killing Joke:
- Kevin Conroy Chats with Fanbase Press About Bringing Batman Back for The Killing Joke
- Direct Sam Liu Talks with Fanbase Press About Bringing The Killing Joke to DC Animated
- Brian Azzarello Chats with Fanbase Press About Adapting The Killing Joke
- Tara Strong Takes on Batgirl and The Killing Joke
- Bruce Timm Talks with Fanbase Press About the DC Animated Film, The Killing Joke
- Actor Ray Wise Chats with Fanbase Press About Commissioner Gordon and The Killing Joke
At the Batman: Bad Blood premiere this past February, Fanbase Press was there:
- Batman: Bad Blood Premiere: Sean Maher Returns as Nightwing!
- Batman: Bad Blood Premiere: Stuart Allan on Being the Son of Batman and More!
- Batman: Bad Blood Premiere: Travis Willingham Bullies the Bat Family as the Heretic!
- Batman: Bad Blood Premiere: Yvonne Strahovski Brings Batwoman to DC Animated!
- Batman: Bad Blood Premiere: Jason O’Mara on Batman, the Bat Family, and Borrowing the Batmobile!
- Batman: Bad Blood Premiere: Gaius Charles Joins the Bat Family as Batwing!
- Batman: Bad Blood Premiere: Director Jay Oliva on Expanding the Bat Family and More!
- SPECIAL ACCOMPANYING REVIEW from Fanbase Press President, Bryant Dillon! Batman: Bad Blood: Film Review (Building the Bat Family)
From San Diego Comic-Con International 2015, check out our coverage of Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem!
- Troy Baker is Batman…and The Joker!
- Will Friedle Brings Nightwing to Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem
- Writer Heath Corson Delivers the Virus in Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem
- John DiMaggio on Playing the Joker, Batman and More
And, just a few more!
- Christian Bale: The Inside Story of the Darkest Batman – A Book Review
- SDCC2012: Bryant Dillon Interviews Harrison Cheung, Author of Christian Bale: The Inside Story of the Darkest Batman
- SDCC2011: Eliza Dusku on Batman: Year One
- SDCC2011: Katee Sackhoff from the Premiere of Batman: Year One
- The Caped Crusade: Batman and The Rise of Nerd Culture – Book Review
However you celebrate Batman Day, find the Bat Signal and have fun!