Fans in attendance will have a chance to stop by the Fanbase Press table (Artist Alley K-17) to pick up copies of the 2018 Eisner Award-nominated Quince, the 2019 IPPY Award-winning A Geek's Guide to Cross-Stitch: Journeys in Space, the 2014 Bram Stoker Award-nominated Fearworms: Selected Poems, The Sequels, The Margins, The Gamma Gals, Something Animal, Identity Thief, The Arcs, and Penguins vs. Possums,. As a special treat, Fanbase Press will be selling limited edition Quince enamel pins, Fanbase Press pins, and Fanbase Press t-shirt in sizes Small - XXL, so that attendees may show their geek pride in style.
Plus, you will not want to miss all of the panels featuring Fanbase Press' staff, which will include the following:
Saturday, October 12
- 10:00 a.m.: Fanbase Press Presents: Examining '80s Nostalgia in Comics - Pop culture’s obsession with the ’80s is reverberating through comics and graphic novels like PAPER GIRLS, STRANGER THINGS, THE SEQUELS, and more. Led by Barbra Dillon (editor-in-chief, Fanbase Press), this panel – including Barbara Randall Kesel (editor, WATCHMEN), Livio Ramondelli (artist, TRANSFORMERS), Hannibal Tabu (writer, Comic Book Resources), Norm Harper (writer, THE SEQUELS), and Bobby Timony (co-artist, THE SEQUELS) – will discuss how the sequential art medium allows creators and readers to channel an age of legendary pop culture prosperity, while also revisiting the past with a critical eye. (Room 405)
- 1:00 p.m.: Fanbase Press Presents: A 20th Anniversary Retrospective on Joss Whedon's ANGEL - For two decades now, the vampire with a soul has helped the helpless on the streets of Los Angeles. Spun off the uber-popular BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER TV series, ANGEL tells a darker story of redemption, family, and what if means to continue to fight, even in the face of unwinnable odds. Join moderator Bryant Dillon (president, Fanbase Press), Scott Tipton (writer, IDW's ANGEL comics), and Marsia Powers (founder, WhedonCon) to take a look back at this impactful and entertaining addition to pop culture vampire mythology and pay your respects to the Dark Avenger! (Room 405)
- 6:30 p.m.: Celebrating 10 Years of Comics: A Sneak Preview of Fanbase Press' 10th Anniversary Releases - 2020 will mark the 10th anniversary of award-winning independent comic book publisher and geek culture website Fanbase Press. In this panel, co-founders Barbra and Bryant Dillon – and special guests Sebastian Kadlecik (Eisner Award-nominated QUINCE), Desirée Proctor (Telltale Games' The Walking Dead: Michonne, DC Comics New Talent Showcase), and Erica Harrell (Telltale Games' The Walking Dead: Michonne, DC Comics New Talent Showcase) – will take a look back at the last decade of celebrating fandoms and creating new ones, while also revealing exciting project announcements for the anniversary year! (Room 304ABC)
Sunday, October 13
- 10:30 a.m.: Fanbase Press Presents: Celebrating Fandoms through Podcasting - Podcasting has become a popular and entertaining way to examine and celebrate fandoms of all kind. Moderated by Bryant Dillon (president, Fanbase Press) and featuring Tyler McPhail (THE GRAND GEEK GATHERING), Teresa Jusino (FINDING FELICITY), Sandra Dimas (THE STORY GEEKS), and Erik Amaya (TREAD PERILOUSLY), this panel will explore why podcasting is such a vital aspect of modern-day fandom. (Room 406AB)
- 3:00 p.m.: Fanbase Press Presents: Celebrating Fandoms through Geeky Crafting - There are so many fandoms that we celebrate through TV, movies, comics, books, and other mediums, yet media consumers love to show their creative sides, too! Led by Barbra Dillon (editor-in-chief, Fanbase Press), this panel – including Christoff Visscher (Cantrip Candles), Chris Rubin (Bubbles and Things Soaps), Clarissa Thorne (A Geek’s Guide to Cross-Stitch), and Chrissy Callahan (TurtleBunny Creations) – will discuss the benefits that crafting can offer in providing opportunities for creative fulfillment and entrepreneurial expansion. (Room 410)
Saturday, October 12
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.: Norm Harper (writer, The Sequels)
- 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.: Bobby Timony (co-artist, The Sequels)
- 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.: Stefano Terry (writer/artist, The Gamma Gals)
- 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.: Sebastian Kadlecik (creator, Quince / creator/co-writer/co-illustrator, Penguins vs. Possums)
Sunday, October 13
- 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.: Clarissa Thorne (creator, A Geek's Guide to Cross-Stitch: Journeys in Space)
INDIE CREATORS IN ATTENDANCE
In addition, you will not want to miss the other indie creators, writers, artists, and publishers who will be exhibiting their work at the convention.
- Writer D.J. Kirkbride (Errand Boys, Once and Future Queen) will be at Artist Alley Table F7 with indie comix / animation artist Douglas Gauthier.
- The Comadres y Comics podcast hosts (Kristen Parraz, Sara Bazan, and Jennifer Lopez) will be joining the "Fandom Latina: Latina Representation on Geekdom" panel on Sunday, October 13, 2019, at 10 a.m. in Room 301A. Moderated by Paola C.K. (Vicious Mockery), the panel will also feature Amanda Julina Gonzales and Kayden Phoenix (graphic novel, Jalisco: A Latina Super Hero), Krystal Flores (Cosplayer), and Yuri E. Casco (Y & C Comics on YouTube).
- Cantrip Candles will be exhibiting at Booth 1612! They will be showcasing their line of tabletop-themed fragrances in an interactive, gallery style booth! They will also have two new autumn fragances available for purchase, along with a spooky, new matchbox design just in time for Halloween.
- Writer David Pepose (Spencer & Locke) will be in the Sketchy Bug Pavilion with comic creators Dave Schrader (Baby Badass) and Tony Donley (Albert Einstein: Time Mason).
- Crafter Lou Lee and Me will be at table 1137 with crystal cat ears and crowns.
- Creator Christie Shinn of HoraTora Studios will be in the Sketchy Bug Pavilion. She will also be participating in the “Kickstarting Your Comic” panel at noon on Sunday, October 13, in Room 410.
Please visit the LA Comic Con website to purchase your tickets for this exciting event.
Everyone at Fanbase Press is greatly looking forward to the convention, and we hope to see you there!